What is this?

This is a very long, open and public letter to Baby Bean McGyver, the little boy curently residing in my belly, to be evicted in December, likely during Christmas dinner.

I promise to back everything up in print to read to him during the sleepless nights. Oh, and in case you are wondering, the title did come from a horribly catchy Gwen Stefani song that is always stuck in my jukebox brain.

I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday 11 October 2013

Week 29 - Squash baby

Hey baby,

First of all, would you please stop kicking me? I love you, but you're squeezing my insides and moving around so much it makes me nauseous. Have you tried eating a meal then having someone stomping on your stomach?! Today I caught myself doing the "evil mom stare" down to my own belly button because you were doing a high-kick - splits - pirouettes routine and it worked, you stopped right away! Mom wins - for 5 minutes. On the bright side, I know you're happy when I eat and when I seat down, not so much when I lift up my shirt or bend forward. I have a new policy of sleeping with The Bump touching your Daddy's back, so you can kick him too. He loves it, carry on.

You also love yoga and I've been doing more and more of it to get in the birth mindset.

I'm considering dropping the fruit/vegetable comparison thing because it's starting to freak me out. Butternut squash for week 29?! It's enormous, there's no way you're that big. (She says, in denial, as her belly button now enters a room a full minute before the boobs arrive.)

We had a good week out here that started with some spring planting of a vegetable garden - no squashes! - then some spring snow! Weather is a funny thing, you'll learn soon, as it rules our lifes in the country.

My latest concern is to pack a hospital bag. Apparently it's a big deal, and from all the lists I got off the internet, I have about 3 items. A lot of shopping still involved, no matter how many items I tick off the essentials list. We got a baby monitor this week, very cute, simple sound-only kind, but enough for our needs (and our budget).  Next, I got my eyes on a swing on TradeMe. And we got presents in the mail yesterday, from a very nice friend in Brazil who wishes nothing but good things to you.

Good things. You know, we wish for nothing but good things to you, but know that you are going to grow up and maybe bad things will happen. Accidents, deaths, the flu, broken heart, stubbed toes. You're not here yet, but I'm already freaking out about those things. What scares me the most is that I'll be so worried and scared all the time that I'll forget about the good things.I'm scared squared.

Would you be ok with a bubble-wrap outfit from birth till, lets say, 18 years old? OK, a little overboard, I get it. I'll have words with your guardian angels, make sure they are on a 4 angels/6h a day roster, just to be safe.


What I'm making: lists. To do, to buy, to make, to send, to clean. My brain is a fuzzy mess, I need all the help I can get.












1 comment:

  1. Oliver, meu neto! Seja bem vindo ao planeta e à nossa família.
    Aqui é o avô Kiko. Espero que você fale português (hehe). Posso até tentar escrever em inglês, mas vai soar "macarrônico" (depois sua mãe explica). Em primeiro lugar, quero saudá-lo como o primeiro Mazziotti Macário e dizer que fazia tempo que não me emocionava tanto com a chegada de alguém. Sua chegada coincide com a chegada do I-phone 5-S, da televisão 8 k, do siri e do começo da cura do câncer e da aids. Já há, nos dias que correm, alguns caras que, ao perderem os braços, ganharam modelos robóticos, acionados pelo cérebro. Sim, o cérebro! Você vai descobrir logo que ele é o principal ator de seu corpo. É bom cuidar também dos pulmões, dos rins, de alguns músculos e do principal, o coração. Espero que, ao crescer, você não precise ficar "bombado" como alguns jovens de hoje, chamados de lasanhas. Recomendo que você alimente seu grande parceiro, o cérebro, com a maior quantidade possível de comida literária, sob a forma de letras.
    Como vai falar e escrever em dois idiomas, você levará vantagem sobre seus avós, que nasceram monoglotas e só foram aprender inglês, espanhol e italiano já adultos. Uma coisa que quero dizer logo é para você ensinar ao seu cérebro o sentido da amizade, um dos mais importantes que conheço. Por enquanto, encerro este post por aqui. Peça pra sua mãe e pro seu pai contarem logo a você o quê é essa tal de amizade. Um beijo, minha benção e a amizade do seu avô Kiko Mazziotti.

    ReplyDelete