What is this?

This is a very long, open and public letter to Baby Bean McGyver, the little boy curently residing in my belly, to be evicted in December, likely during Christmas dinner.

I promise to back everything up in print to read to him during the sleepless nights. Oh, and in case you are wondering, the title did come from a horribly catchy Gwen Stefani song that is always stuck in my jukebox brain.

I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Week 32 - Bok Choy Baby and a BIG thank you

Hey baby!

I can understand the lenght of a bok choy, but volumetric-ly speaking, it feels like I've eaten a cantaloupe whole. The Bump doubles in size every morning. You're huge. You've got the moves like Jagger, my son. Some pretty painful ones lately.


Ok, getting down to business. Last Friday, Nov 1st, our amazing friends got together to celebrate your arrival. It's called a baby shower and involves some good food, cute baby themed decorations, games for the parents-to-be, cake and heaps of presents. You are going to be a very well-dressed baby thanks to them; we got gorgeous clothes, blankets, lotions and even a rubber duck! The best surprise ever.

A baby shower is a tradition for new mums and dads, and as much as I wanted to throw it myself (trust me, the planning in my mind was beautiful, with theme, checklists, suppliers, shopping lists and plan of action. It was going to be epic.), we had two problems. One was Preston, the lovely mechanic who fixed our cars and took all our money. Second problem and a lot harder to fix, was the fact that we live in New Zealand.

You see, my mom, aunties, in-laws, nieces, bffs, cousins, friends, all the ladies and gents who are very happy about your existence, are NOT in New Zealand. They are far far away. All my life, they were always in this dream-picture of my baby shower, we'd be having tea, playing games and dishing advice on how to deal with cracked nipples and that sort of thing you say to a new mom. I felt a big hole whenever I thought of having a baby shower without them. I felt like I'd be betraying them, depriving them of celebrating you.

Then these fantastic women came along and fixed it. Everything was done to perfection, the food was great as usual, the love was overflowing, so much fun was had. They planned, shopped, cooked, decorated, made something beautiful out of a long lost dream. They showed me how loved you are. They told me, with a ribbon-laced-diaper-cake, that this is YOUR family and our family, the friends we chose to share our lifes with here in New Zealand. I still miss all those people, but know you won't have to. I feel showered with blessings.


 For that I'll be forever grateful, beyond words. Humbled by a display of affection I did not expect.
Thank you thank you thank you, a thousand times. One for each ribbon, ballon, cupcake, coxinha and marshmellow. Thank you.

 


What I'm doing right now: I'm trying on a moby wrap, which is mainly a large stretchy lenght of fabric that ties you to myself. Except you're still inside, so I'm using a borrowed baby doll (the size of a 7month old baby). All that on top of The Bump. Pepsi is about as confused as he could possibly be. Well, aren't we all?




No comments:

Post a Comment